Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I Heart Hamas & Other Things I'm Afraid To Tell You (The Players Loft)

BOTTOM LINE: charming, intriguing, brave
A brutally honest one-woman show exploring what it means to be a woman who is American, Palestinian, & Christian.

Jennifer Jajeh tells intriguing stories about her complicated life. One of the highlights is when she explains how she inherited a Jewish cat. When she tries to explain to an Arab man at the grocery store why she has a Jewish cat...it is pretty hilarious. Once Jajeh moves the story to her life while living in Palestine, the play gets much more serious. She gives a heartwrenching and eye opening perspective on what it means to be a Palestinian living in Palestine. She ends the show with candid bravery and vulnerability as she reveals her feelings about violence, Israelis, and war. I must admit I feel even more empathy for Palestinians after seeing this show. Jajeh's story is not one we often get to hear so I recommend getting down to see it.

I Heart Hamas and Other Things I'm Afraid To Tell You is playing at The Players Loft, 115 MacDougal Street, 3rd Floor (south of West 3rd Street). Show times: Thursday, August 14th at 7:45pm, Sunday, August 17th at 9:30pm, Thursday, August 21st at 3:15pm, and Sunday, August 24th at 4:15pm. For more info and tickets visit: fringenyc.org.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Theatre goer who reads these reviews from time to time I must say that your insights are great! Thank you!!